Candidate Events for Fall Elections
Saratoga Springs Candidate Forum
for Public Safety, Public Works and Accounts
Tuesday October 13 at 7 pm
- Candidates For Public Safety:
C. Mathiesen(D,I,WF,) and Richard Wirth (R,C)
- For Public Works: William McTygue(D,WF) and Skip Scirocco(R,C,I)
- For Accounts: John Franck (D,WF,I)
Saratoga Springs High School Teacher's Auditorium
1 Blue Streak Blvd, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Malta Candidate Forum
Thursday October 15 at 7 pm
- Candidates for Town Clerk: Patricia Ruggles(R,C,I) and Maria Conte-Green(D)
- For Supervisor: Vincent Delucia(R,C,I), Cynthia Young(D,WF)
- For Town Council: Tim Dunn(R,I), Tara Thomas(WF,I), (Craig Warner(R)
- Unopposed candidates may make a statement:
- For Supt of Highways: Roger Crandall (R,C,I)
- For Tax Collector: Sharon Shiera (R,C,I)
Co-sponsor: Malta Business and Professional Association
Media Co- sponsor, the Ballston Journal. Live streaming.
Malta Community Center, 1 Bayberry Drive, Malta
Saratoga Springs Candidate Forum
for Mayor, Finance and Supervisor
Tuesday October 27 at 7 pm
- Candidates for Mayor: Joanne Yepsen(D,WF) and John Safford(R,C,I)
- For Finance: Ken Ivins(R), and Michele Madigan(D,WF,I)
- For Supervisor (2 Supervisors): Peter Martin(D,I) and Matthew Veitch(R,C,I)
Saratoga Springs High School Teacher's Auditorium, 1 Blue Streak Blvd, Saratoga Springs, NY
Voting in Next Year's Presidential Primary
Please note that anyone who wants to change his/her party affiliation and vote in next year's presidential primary must submit the revised voter registration form or change their affiliation on My DMV website by Oct. 9, 2015. Changes in party affiliation must be registered prior to the general election preceding the primary in which the person wants to vote (before November 2015 to vote in primaries in 2016). You can also register to be an organ donor when you register to vote.
- Hadley Town Supervisor (Republican Primary)
- Malta Town Council (Republican Primary)
- Milton Town Council (Republican Primary)
- Saratoga Springs Commissioner of Public Safety (Democratic Primary)
America Goes to the Polls: Report on Voter Participation Rates in 2014 General Election
A recent study was released by Nonprofit Vote, a nonpartisan resource that helps nonproﬁts integrate voter engagement into their ongoing activities and services, summarized voter participation rates for the 2014 general election. New York State ranked 49th out of the 50 states plus DC with only 29% of eligible voters actually voting. The report found that states with competitive elections or election day registration had much higher rates of participation than other states. Seven of the top 10 states allowed same day (election day) registration. See the full report.
Find my Legislative Districts
- Voter Lookup: Verify your voter registration, check your districts, and find your polling place.
- District List for residents of Saratoga County (by town/city)
- New 2012 District Maps for Congress, NY State Senate and NYS Assembly races
- Chart of Saratoga County Legislative Districts by city/town and election district
- Register to vote online through DMV
- Voter Registration Form
- Voter Registration Form – Fill
- Absentee Ballot Application
- Polling Place Lookup
- First Vote (English): A Guide for New Voters in NYS
- Primer Voto: A Guide for New Voters in NYS (Spanish)
- Military/Federal Voting Info
- Formulario de registro de votantes del estado de Nueva York
- New York State Board of Elections
- Saratoga County Board of Elections
- How New Voting Machines work
Voting pamphlets for specific populations
In addition to the basic Voter's Guide above, the League of Women Voters of New York State publishes a series of five informational pamphlets for specific populations:
- College Students: Text Version Brochure
- Individuals with Disabilities: Text Version Brochure
- Homeless Individuals: Text Version Brochure
- Individuals with Mental Health Disabilities: Text Version
- Individuals with Criminal Convictions and Those Detained in Jail or Prison: Text Version Brochure
Other sources of non-partisan information
- League of Women Voters: National
- League of Women Voters of New York State
- VOTE411.org - The League’s nonpartisan resource for election and voting information.
- Project VoteSmart Nonpartisan citizens’ organization provides candidate's voting records, campaign finances, performance evaluations by more than 200 liberal and conservative special interest organizations, biographical backgrounds, issue positions and public comments. View the website or contact student researchers on their hotline (1-888-VOTE SMART).
- Factcheck.org - Nonpartisan site checks the accuracy of political ads and allegations.
- Federal Election Commission Official site of the government agency that regulates campaign finance.
- Center for Responsive Politics Nonpartisan site on money in U.S. elections.
- PolitiFact - Tampa Bay Times project that examines and rates the truth of statements by members of Congress, the White House, lobbyists and interest groups.
- Polling Reports - Trends in American public opinion
Contact Elected Officials
Find elected officials, including the president, members of Congress, the governor, and state legislators through the League of Women Voters directory. Use the Legislative Action Center to contact your elected officials, or sign up for action alerts on the issues that are important to you.
Previous Candidate Guides
- Online Voter Guide: Visit the League's Vote411.org to get a personalized list of races on your ballot with candidate biographies and answers to questions.
- 2014 Print Guide: PDF version of online guide
- 2014 Candidate Statement Videos from Forums
- 2014 School Board Elections
- 2013 Nov. Election for Saratoga County
- 2013 School Board Elections
- 2012 Nov. Election for Saratoga County
Includes U.S. Senate, Congressional, State Senate, State Assembly and local races
- 2012 Nov. Election for Capital District
- 2012 Debate Recordings and News Coverage
- 2012 State Primary Voter Guide: Printable (PDF) covering all primary races on September 13th for the State Senate and State Assembly.
- 2012 Congressional Primary Voter Guide: Printable (PDF) covering all Congressional primary races on June 26th affecting Saratoga County.
- 2011 Voter Guide