Local Studies (LWV Saratoga County)
- Local Government Study, chaired by Francine Rodger and Barb Thomas
This two-year study will look at whether local governments in Saratoga County (villages, towns, cities and county government) should separate executive or administrative functions from legislative (policy making) functions.
Year one of the study will look at current structures, practices and definitions. Year two of the study will reach a consensus position.
There will be an organizational meeting in September, at a time that is convenient for those who want to participate. So express your interest by contacting Francine or Barb.
State Studies (LWV New York State)
- Raise the Age Concurrence
Raise the Age Concurrence Materials
On Monday evening, November 23rd, we will have a presentation related to the movement to Raise the Age that children can be treated as adults in the court system. Immediately following the presentation LWV members will decide to approve or disapprove the concurrence position below (we can't rewrite it).
In League-speak concurrence is defined as agreement by League members with a position on an issue reached by a small group of members or by another League. In this case we are being asked if we agree with the main points of a position developed by the LWV of Ohio.
Proposed LWVNY Juvenile Justice Position
- Children under the age of 18 are not adults and their treatment within the juvenile justice and criminal court system should relate to their stage of development.
- Children should not be held in adult jails.
- Rehabilitation is the purpose of the juvenile justice system.
- The legal rights of children should be protected.
National Studies (LWV US)